While you are waiting for an opening in your Adult Basic Education class, there are a few things you can do to get yourself into the learning mode. Below you will find some friendly suggestions for activities do to while waiting.
- Make a point of reading-newspapers, magazines, or books about anything you enjoy.
- Get a library card-The librarian at you local library will tell you how.
- Buy a book of crossword puzzles or word searches.
- Build your general knowledge by watching educational TV like the History Channel, Travel Channel, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, or the Animal Planet.
- Watch the news.
- Practice getting your thoughts on paper.
- Keep a journal-use a special notebook to write about your experiences, ideas, concerns (Don’t worry about writing perfectly; it’s just practice.)
- Review and practice your multiplication facts.
- Visit http://illuminations.nctm.org/ActivityDetail.aspx?ID=155 for practice sheets.
- Practice your typing skills
- Look into Introduction to Computer classes at your local Career Center, library or community college.
Organize and Prepare
- Gather the materials you will need for school such as a dictionary, notebook, pens and pencils, writing paper.
- Read about some topics that may affect your learning.
Please call the educational counselor at your ABE program if you have questions