Volunteer to become a literacy tutor
Share the gift of literacy!
Our volunteer literacy tutors are a vital part of the support we provide to our ABE and ESOL learners as they seek to achieve their educational, work and life goals. Volunteer tutors support learners who are enrolled in our Adult Basic Education programs through one-on-one tutoring, classroom assistance, and program activity support.
Use your time and talent to help learners by:
- Encouraging self-confidence
- Sharing your enthusiasm for learning
- Lending your experiences and insights
- Providing additional help in their subject areas
- Assisting students to prepare for the GED exam
“My role is to help the learner with their individual academic needs… It is a joy to see or experience a learners’ success.”
“I am assisting someone in their move forward in life.”Potential tutors:
- Need no prior teaching experience
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED
- Must pass a CORI review
- Complete a required initial 12-hour tutor training
- Commit to one to two hours of weekly service (A six month obligation per student is appreciated.)
Are you ready to share your love of learning and to gain so much more in return? Are you ready to have fun while helping others achieve their goals?
Call today for a schedule of upcoming trainings, or print and send in a literacy volunteer application to the Fall River, Taunton, or Attleboro program, and a coordinator will contact you.
Fall River: (508) 678-2811 x2042 -Tutoring takes place at the Elsbree Street campus.
Taunton: (508) 822-2828 - Tutoring takes place at the Taunton Public Library.
Attlenboro: (508) 223-4193 - Tutoring takes place at the BCC Attleboro Center and at the Literacy Center.