How to apply
Please review the eligibility requirements before applying to the program:
- 16-21 years of age
- Left high school or be on the verge of leaving without a diploma
- Significantly behind on high school credits (students who have been held back or are not on schedule to graduate on time.)
- Minimum 8th grade reading level (as determined by a placement test)
- Live in Fall River
- Committed to educational success
4-Step Application Process
Step 1: Attend an Information Session
At the Information Session, you will:
- Receive detailed information on the Gateway to College program and learn the benefits and expectations of the program
- Have a chance to ask questions about the program
- Sign up for placement testing
- Have your application materials reviewed to make sure you meet all basic eligibility requirements
- Allow us to meet you and learn why you are interested in this program
Step 2: Complete the application packet (application packets available at all information sessions)
- Complete the application packet in full. (Don’t forget to sign it.)
- Complete your written answers to the three essay questions.
- Submit a copy of your transcripts from all high schools that you have attended.
- Complete the “Consent to Release Confidential Information Form” (included in the application packet), sign it, and, if you are under the age of 18, have your parent or guardian sign it as well.
- Take the “School District Information Form” into your neighborhood school or your school district office. Have someone from your school or the district office fill it out and sign it.
Step 3: Complete Placement Testing
You can sign up for placement testing at an Information Session. Placement testing results, in conjunction with your academic background, assist Gateway to College and BCC staff with your course placement.
Step 4: Participate in an Individual Interview
You can sign up for an individual interview at an Information Session. You must meet all the eligibility requirements in order to sign up for an interview.
Your interview will be face-to-face with one or more Gateway staff members. This is our chance to get to know you in an individual setting and learn more about your strengths and motivation. Also, it will allow you to discuss any questions you have about the program.
Normally, interviews are conducted the week of your Information Session and last for approximately 30 minutes.
Please note: All interviews will take place at Bristol Community College, 777 Elsbree Street, in Fall River. Regardless of where you attend an Information Session, your interview will be held at BCC. Please make any necessary arrangements for transportation.
After you complete the 4-step application process, someone from the Gateway program will contact you. If you are accepted, you will be sent a letter of acceptance, your class schedule, contact information for your Resource Specialist, information about books and fees, a campus map, and information regarding the mandatory Gateway Orientation.
Applicants who are not accepted into the program will be referred to other opportunities at BCC and within the community. Non-acceptance into the program does not prohibit you from re-applying at a future date.
Please provide an accurate address so the Gateway staff can contact you. Also, please note that Gateway to College and BCC are not responsible for lost or misdirected mail. If you have not been contacted by the Gateway to College staff, do not wait until the first day of classes to check your application status. If for some reason, you do not receive notification of your application status, please call us at 508-678-2811, ext. 2744.
We look forward to meeting you and helping you become a successful student!