High School Equivalency Testing
A high school equivalency test provides the opportunity to earn a credential that may be used in the place of a traditionally earned high school diploma. The High School Equivalency Testing Program in Massachusetts is overseen by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's High School Equivalency (HSE). Official test centers operate state-wide to serve the needs of the adult population in need of a high school credential. Test centers are located throughout the state. They are responsible for administering the tests in their area.
The Testing Center at Bristol Community College currently administers the official Massachusetts State approved HiSET® test as the high school equivalency test.
HiSET® High School Equivalency Test
The HiSET® exam includes five subtests that you can schedule to take in any order
- Language Arts - Reading
- Language Arts - Writing
- Social Studies
- First, view the requirements for taking the HiSET® exam in Massachusetts: at HiSET® requirements.
- Next, find a test center: (once the Massachusetts page for eligibility is "live" all centers which are ready to test will go "live")
- Finally, create a MyHiSET® account, schedule appointments, and make payment at http://hiset.ets.org/test_takers/
If you have any questions, please call ETS Customer Service at 1-855-MyHiSET® (1-855-694-4738).
Note: You must call ETS Customer Service to schedule your appointment if you:
- have a disability or health-related need and require testing accommodations
- are paying for your exam with a voucher
Passing Scores for the HiSET® High School Equivalency Test are as follows:
- A score of at least 8 out of 20 on each subtest
- A score of at least 2 out of 6 on the essay
- A total scaled score on all five HiSET® subtests of at least 45 out of 100
For a GED credential earned before 2014:
- Contact the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for a verification of your credential
- Call 774-357-2156 and leave your name, telephone number and email address to receive a Transcript Request Form and a copy of a transcript of scores earned at the BCC Testing Center