The U. S. Department of Education is the most common source of education loan funds.
The loans programs that BCC participates in are:
Federal Direct Stafford -Subsidized and Unsubsidized
Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (Direct PLUS)
To be considered for a student loan you need to complete the BCC financial aid application process.
Note: BCC participates in the Federal Direct Loan Programs - Stafford and PLUS applications submitted through SallieMae, Wells Fargo, etc. cannot be considered. A BCC financial aid award decision will be sent to you once your financial aid application is complete. If your BCC financial aid award letter does not include a loan offer and you still want to borrow, complete the Loan Request Form and send it to the BCC Financial Aid Office.
Consider the cost of your educational loans and what your monthly repayment will be. You can estimate your monthly repayments with the repayment calculator. All loan programs require that you be enrolled and attending at least six credits for the semester. All loan funds must be repaid by you. Read the entrance counseling and promissory notes carefully. In certain limited cases, you can request to postpone or cancel the repayment of this debt.
If your BCC financial aid award letter includes an offer of a Federal Stafford loan, there are three steps you need to follow:
1. Accept the loan.
You need to be admitted to a degree program before you are allowed to access this account. Read these instructions in full before entering accessBCC .
- Enter your User Name found at the bottom of your BCC Financial Aid Award Letter.
- Enter your password
- Click OK
- On My accessBCC tab, click Financial Aid from the menu
- Click My Award Info
- Click Award by Aid Year
- From the drop down menu, select the academic year
- Click the Accept Award Offer tab
- Follow the instructions under Options for Accept Award Offers Include
- You can accept a lower loan amount by entering the dollar amount in the box to the right of the award.
Click here to enter accessBCC.
2. Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Before completing Step 2, you need to determine if you are a new borrower or a previous borrower.
- New borrowers - if this is the first time you receive a Direct Stafford Loan, you will need to complete the MPN
For Spring and Summer 2013, the MPN will be available three business days after you accept the loan.
For Fall 2013 and Spring 2014, the MPN will be available beginning July 4, 2013. The U. S. Department of Education is updating their systems for the loan fee changes due to sequestration.
- Previous borrowers - you may have already completed this step. You can check your status here. Click on View my Loan Documents link. If you completed the MPN within the past ten years, you do not complete one again. If there is no MPN on file, then you need to complete the Promissory Note.
Click here to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Remember, for 2013-14 the Promissory Note will not be available until July 4, 2013.
3. Complete the Entrance Counseling
Before completing Step 3, you need to determine if you are a new borrower or a previous borrower.
- New borrowers - if this is the first time you receive a Direct Stafford Loan, you need to complete the loan entrance counseling.
- Previous borrowers - If you think you completed the entrance counseling at BCC already, check your status on your accessBCC account. Log in, go to Financial Aid; then My Eligibility; then Student Requirements; then select the current award year.
- If entrance counseling is received and satisfied, then counseling is already done
- if entrance counseling is required, then follow the link below to complete the counseling
Click here to complete Entrance Counseling
Note to first-time borrowers: All first-time direct loan borrowers must complete the online Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Federal Entrance Counseling. You will need your Federal Student Financial Aid PIN to complete this step. This is the same PIN you use to electronically sign your FAFSA. If you don't have this PIN available, you can get your PIN by clicking the ‘PIN site’ link on the front page of the Direct Loan MPN website. The Federal Student Financial Aid PIN is not your accessBCC PIN.
If you don't have access to the web and are awarded a Stafford Loan, contact the BCC Financial Aid Office.
Title IV HEA loan (Stafford and PLUS) information will be submited to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system.
Institutional Code of Conduct for Educational Loans