As part of the School-to-Work initiative, Cooperative Education is currently operating a Connecting Activities Grant for the Greater New Bedford Area.
School-to-Work is an approach to learning for ALL students. It is based on the proven concept that education works best and is most useful for future careers when students apply what they learn to real life, real work situations.
The School-to-Work system:
- School-based Learning - classroom instruction based on high academic and business-defined occupational skill standards.
- Work-based Learning - career exploration, work experience, structured training and mentoring at job sites.
- Connecting Activities - courses integrating classroom and on-the-job instruction, matching students with participating employers, training of mentors and the building of other bridges between school and work.
Connecting Activities, as part of School-To-Work, is designed to maintain relationships between schools and businesses.
Career Specialists work with students in the schools to prepare them for the appropriate internship experiences that fit their career interests.
Connecting Activities include:
- Recruiting employers to provide opportunities to students and/or teachers
- Developing work-based learning plans with teachers
- Providing employment services when students leave school
BCC's Connecting Activities staff are currently working within the Greater New Bedford school systems.
We offer programs with the following schools:
- Dartmouth High School
- Fairhaven High School
- Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School
- New Bedford High School
- Old Rochester Regional High School
- Wareham High School
- Westside Jr./Sr. High School
For more information, contact the New Bedford Chamber of Commerce Office:
Connecting Activities Main Office
New Bedford Area Chamber of Commerce
794 Purchase Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
For additional information visit the New Bedford Area Chamber of Commerce Connecting Activities website.